Saturday, 15 June 2013

Recipe // Banana Bread




I love baking, but during the past year I found that I often wasn't able to do it as I was too busy with school work, exams or just making time to see my friends but now that all of that is out of the way, except for seeing my friends of course I now have more freedom to do it. 
And after seeing the very over ripened bananas sitting in the fruit bowl, I decided it was time for a spot of banana bread to be baked. 
I found this recipe years ago while doing my GCSEs  and I have used it ever since I loved it so much, and I think you lovelies will too!

You will need:
  • 285g/10oz plain flour
  • 1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
  • ½ tsp salt
  • 110g butter, plus extra for greasing
  • 225g caster sugar
  • 2 free-range eggs
  • 4 ripe bananas, mashed
  • 85ml buttermilk (or normal milk mixed with 1½ tsp lemon juice or vinegar)
  • 1 tsp vanilla extract

1.    Preheat the oven to 180C. While the oven is heating, sift your flour, bicarbonate of soda and salt into a large mixing bowl. Then in a mixer or separate bowl, cream the butter and sugar together until it's light and fluffy.

2.  Add the eggs, mashed bananas, buttermilk and vanilla extract to the butter and sugar mixture and mix well. Then fold in the flour mixture. After this grease a 20cm x 12.5cm/8in x 5in loaf tin and pour the cake mixture into the tin. Today however I decided to use this funky silicon bread loaf shaped case, I couldn't resist to make bread slice shaped banana bread! 
The littlest things in life amuse me so.... 
Yes I'm a bit of a saddo xD

3.    Transfer your mix into the oven and bake for about an hour, or until well-risen and golden-brown. Remove from the oven and cool in the tin for a few minutes, then turn out onto a wire rack to cool completely before serving. This baby is at it's best if it crumbles when you cut off a slice!




Serve this beauty with tea/coffee or milk, I personally love mine with a huge dollop of Nutella or Betty Crockers Chocolate frosting with mine, however the problem with 2 younger siblings is, it's all gone before you have a chance to reach it!! 
And don't forget to clear up, cleaning up the mixing bowl is one of my favourite aspects of baking and my stomachs' ;)



Hope you enjoy this as much as my family and I do, it usually disappears within a day so grab some before that happens! 

Hope you're having a lovely weekend! 

1 comment:

  1. This banana bread is very tasty with coffee.I am trying to make it .

    Regards,
    Kopi Luwak


    ReplyDelete